Friday, April 13, 2012

Love in the Click of a Shutter

Cameras have been a passion of mine for a long time. It runs in the blood. I have casual photos of my great, great relatives doing all kinds of things... having picnics, holding babies, proudly standing in front of their car and even their buggy! These photos date back to the 1910's and I love seeing these moments captured on film, perfectly suspended as though time stood still. My first real photography class was during college, when I got to train on the entirely manual Rolls Royce of cameras, my grandpa's vintage 1950's Leica. It was love at first click...

Fast forward to now and hundreds of baby photos are archived in files on the computer and carefully stored on discs. If the house were on fire, my first thought (after the people, of course), would be "save the photos!" They are my most prized and treasured possesions because they posess the power to transport me back to that moment, to uncork the bottle and to breathe in the realness of that time, and to preserve the happiest memories of my life.

That being said, I truly try and capture as much as I can. I wouldn't think of leaving home for a vacation without my camera, or maybe two or three! But somehow being the photographer eliminates me out of at least 90% of our family photos. In fact, I can count on ONE hand the number of family photos that have been taken of the four of us. Going to Charleston, I was so blessed by the generosity of Courtney's sweet friend Beth, who agreed to take some family photos of us. Family photos that I actually got to be in! I am so blessed to have my sweet sister, to think of the idea, to arrange it, to drive and pick up Beth and her three kids, to get us all lunch, to convince me to make time for it even when things got complicated, and to babysit 8 kids (yes 8!!) while we got everyone looking "photo worthy!" Oh yes, and she even threw in her mad skeelz as a MAC makeup artist and gave me cheekbones and defined eyes! I love you so much Court!

Beth did such a beautiful job and I hope she takes her talent pro one day soon, so lots of Charlestonians can hire her to take family photos, baby photos and wedding photos! Thank you Beth for blessing us with your time and talents and for capturing the love we have as a family of 4!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love, love them all sooo much. Beth did amazing in my crazy back yard! :) I don't know which is my favorite, they all look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved doing this for you and look forward to you taking our's one day too! It was so much fun and you all are so photogenic. Thanks again for letting me do it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...