Thursday, February 9, 2012

Burning the Candle

I've had two times to practice for this single mom thing. At least I wasn't trembling in fear at the thought of being alone with them. I thought, hey... this won't be that bad. I can do this. Deep breath...

When you're used to your better half being around, you get used to that helping hand. The run to Taqueria del Sol for a spur of the moment taco night when making dinner seems exhausting. I'm really missing Firoze bathing the boys and letting them go crazy with the bath toys. It's the big things and the little things. The conversations after the day is done. It's been too long, almost a month now and I miss him. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

So, I haven't been here much. No time for fun things like blogging and sitting on the computer at midnight. I've been burning the candle at both ends. With only one set of hands, I feel like every time I blink, there is a new mess to clean up, a set of sticky hands to be wiped, a toy where it doesn't belong, or another meal to clean up after. It literally NEVER ends. Single moms, pat yourself on the back. I don't know how you do it. My days have been filled with vaccumming, washing floors, putting dishes in the dishwasher, doing laundry, emptying the trash, changing batteries (why does every toy in our house run out of batteries all in the same week???), changing diapers, and cooking meals. What little time I had when Firoze is here is gone. Those precious 5 minutes to sit down and relax are a distant memory. This month has flown by and now it's almost over.

So, here goes stream of conciousness photos from the last month. Enjoy.

Playdough. My nemesis. Dried pieces of playdough stuck in the carpet threads, that's all I can think of. But, this time is precious and I wanted the boys to have a great month, full of fun things to make them forget how much they are missing the "fun one." (Isn't there always a "fun" parent?) So, we had playdough night...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oh yeah, it's a campfire. With a roaring playdough flame. It's how we do it here.

Photobucket

Dinner with Rebecca and Will. Belated Christmas celebrations...

Photobucket

They got Devon his very own "pet." A "living," breathing (yes, really!) koala bear.

Photobucket

Everyone say "awwwwwwwwww..."

Photobucket

Viviana's Debut. Sweet, gorgeous baby. Arrived in a dramatic storyline with a happy ending.

Photobucket

It's your Birth Day! We're going to party like it's your Birth Day! (and by party, I mean eat cupcakes very late at night with candles burning)

Photobucket

I was so overjoyed to be a part of it, to see my sister - my best friend - holding her daughter for the first time and seeing what a perfect addition to their family Viviana will be.

Photobucket

Start building bigger closets Via! Because Auntie Julie is going to be getting you LOTS of little dresses and girlie outfits.

Crap filled house. If you popped in to see me, most likely my house looked like this...

Photobucket

But after spending what felt like a month cleaning house, now I don't have to be embarrased to have company over.

Photobucket

Love is in the air.

Photobucket

My grandma's tea cups. They make me happy.

Photobucket

Clean surfaces people. You would think it's the holy grail. Why is it SO hard to have clean surfaces??? I needed a moment of ohmmmmmmmmmmmmm. And so I cleaned. Don't fall over.

Photobucket

Frosted cupcake candle. One of life's great joys.

Photobucket

Devon's bed is at 100% occupancy. :)

Photobucket

And this is how he sleeps...

Photobucket

He was beyond thrilled to get his LeapPad Tablet. The gift we have been talking about for months. He's been counting down the days until it arrived and he calls it his "iphone." You know what makes me happy? Seeing my sweet boy, the one who always tries to be good, getting a reward for his good behavior and love of learning. I'm happy too. Thanks Mom and Dad - your Christmas present made it possible.

Photobucket

I've been everywhere around this city with two kids in tow. Normally I try to schedule my life so I can do these things without the boys because it's easier. But with just me this month, I had to make it all work. And you know what? It wasn't that bad. They went easy on me. They were fun to be with. We made memories, we ran errands and we got a whole lot done. From morning breakfast dates at the bagel shop, to grocery shopping, to lunch dates and afternoons at Ikea, to hunting at our favorite store... We did it all. And it made my day to find this little gem...

Photobucket

What? You don't like it. Come on. Don't be so negative. Look at the price...

Photobucket

Can you read that upside down? It says $10. Oh yeah. A maple wood nightstand with perfect little shelves for $10. All it needed was a painting night from 10pm to midnight.

Photobucket

And here's the... after!

Photobucket

And by the way, this went from Goodwill to my trunk, to being painted "Swiss Coffee" white and being in my guest room in less than 12 hours. I call that instant gratification!

The only thing that was left was to have a little photo day with the loves of my life. My little darlings...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A little lollipop bribery never hurt anyone.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oh the lashes...

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Zoolander...

Photobucket

This is the look of mischief!

Photobucket

Do you want some?

Photobucket

Photobucket

My son, growing so tall and willowy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

With the little boy smile...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jump for joy!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Double trouble.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Devon and Dean, you went easy on me and I thank you for that. You made me smile and laugh this month and you were my little sidekicks. You have my heart today and always.

Photobucket

To my dear friends... you made this month bearable. You were there for me and never let me get lonely. You kept me company and kept in touch. Debbie - you are the greatest. You always go above and beyond for me, from dinners to watching the boys during my emergency xrays. Gloria - thank so much for staying with the boys so I could meet Viviana on her birthday. Annie - thanks for keeping me company and letting Dean flirt with Abigail! :) Court - you are always there, even when you are in pain and without sleep with a newborn, you always ask how my day is going. And I love you for that.

And lastly, to my love... we have an airport reunion tomorrow and I can't wait. I love you so much!

4 comments:

  1. The boys are soooo handsome!! And all grown up! Dean is a big boy now, not a baby! It's so unbelievable how fast time flies!
    I loooove the nightstand! You styled it so nicely next to the bed too! Now to paint the dresser right.;)
    You've been the best single Mamet! You made it fun and made the most of it! I admire that you've not been a stressed out grouch for the past month like I would be! I can't wait for Firoze to be home!
    Live you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful photos as always Julie! My favorite of this post is the one of Viviana getting checked over by the nurse after delivery. It's just beautiful and of course I love that your camera captured it so well with no flash. It's just beautiful. Of course I love the black and white of Court holding her as well! Then your adorable boys are sooo cute! I just love the action shots of them outside. You are so talented! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Beth! So glad you're reading the blog. You take such great photos, so thanks for the compliments on my pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...