Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pumpkin seeds are good for you, right?

I try to do my best to make these moments for my boys.  To bring in each holiday with excitement over the special things we get to do together.  I read once about how a parent writes the story of their children's childhood.  That's a big responsibility.  To make it a happy story... full of the memories that happened year after year.  I want them to remember the cups of hot cocoa in the winter and the excitement at the first snowfall.  I want them to remember their hands dyed with the colors of Easter eggs in the spring.  I want them to know what the inside of a pumpkin feels like.  I want them to know how much they are loved and how I wanted their story to be written...

With Halloween coming fast, we have been up to our elbows in pumpkin guts!


Photobucket

This year, I tried to stand back and not interfere as the boys felt the slimy, stringy insides of the pumpkins. They did all the work, pulling out the "goop" for me. Dean loved it and snuck about 20 raw pumpkin seeds into his mouth. Let's hope they are good for digestion!

Photobucket

Devon gave me strict instructions on what to carve. I followed directions. He was so happy with the finished pumpkin face and couldn't wait to see it all lit up!

Photobucket

I carefully followed this recipe to make the best roasted pumpkin seeds ever!
- Boil seeds in highly salted water for 10 minutes
- Drain and lay to dry for a few hours on paper towels
- Season with 2 tsp. butter, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Bake at 300 degrees for 45 min, stirring occasionally

And they were crispy and delicious!

Photobucket

And now our house feels right... candles flickering, smiling pumpkin faces, and two happy little boys!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love that Dean ate raw pumpkin seeds! Your autum table looks so cute! I want to eat some of your pumpkin seeds too... :)
    Love,
    coco

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...