Friday, August 26, 2011

Passing the Torch

Back when I was a kid, the best memories I had involved two things... either swimming at the pool or celebrating a holiday with lots of family all around. Swimming was just about the most fun we could possibly have as kids. I even got excited when my Mom would drag out the suitcases for our trip and I would unzip them and inhale the beautiful smell of chlorine. Chlorine meant fun. Chlorine meant games of marco polo and my Dad catapulting us into the pool, over and over for hours. We were little fish and we could stay at the pool for 8 hours if they would let us.

And then there were holidays. The days we spent at my Grandma and Grandpa's house at the lake. There was my Grandma, making the huge pot of mashed potatoes in the kitchen. My Grandpa was always putting on a cool record, like Elvis or Dean Martin. And cousins were everywhere! There was always an awesome friend to play "paint the turtle's back" (not approved by PETA), or "let's try on all Grandma's jewelry," or any number of amazingly fun cousin related activities.

Anways, back to the point... We surprised my Dad with a family reunion for his 60th birthday and for the first time in my life, I felt like I was passing the torch. Devon was so excited about being with his cousins and swimming in the pool that I knew he had finally got it! Even though it took a lot of planning, we all wanted to make Dad's birthday extra special this year and it was worth it in every way.

All my Dad really wanted was for us all to be together.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We had meals together and lots of fun moments, but I was busy wrangling Dean and letting our family click with the shutters of 3 cameras. So, I'm missing the photos from almost all the major events of this weekend, but I'm sure Court will post on her blog and Rebecca will post on facebook and they'll share more of what happened.

But, I did capture the happiest memory from the weekend...

Devon and Judah were holding hands all weekend. Holding hands walking to the restaurant. Holding hands walking through the parking lot. Sharing giggles and talking about dinosaurs. Having that feeling of "I'm with my cuz and my cuz is so cool!" That is what Courtney and I dreamed of when we both had tiny little bundles and we thought "one day these kids are going to love each other." And now it has happened and it was so fun to watch.

Photobucket
Judah - it's ok, boys will be boys. ;)

Photobucket
Can you tell who the brave one is?

Even Quinn was part of the pool jumpers and it was so cute to see them all jump together.

Photobucket

But the best part was seeing Devon learn from his cousins that jumping into the pool and being brave is easy and fun and by the end of the vacation, he was jumping with abandon!

Photobucket
Seriously, how handsome is this boy?

Photobucket
YESSSSSS! Brave boy.... finally!

Photobucket
Court - Love you sooo much and your two little cuties too! Can't wait to meet the one on the way!!

So, Happy Birthday to my wonderful Dad and I couldn't say it any better than Courtney. She wrote the most beautiful blog post that made me cry and was the perfect way to sum it up...

A Life Worth Celebrating

The torch has been passed and now Devon will be remembering how much fun he had at the pool with his cousins and years from now, he'll think back on these days as being the happiest memories of his life.

P.S. No one in the world could possibly be happier at this moment than Guillermo... about to take his first bite of the world's biggest burrito!!!

Photobucket
"Man vs. Food! Man vs. Food!" - Seriously, the restaurant started chanting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...