Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wise Beyond His Years

I know it's SO cliche, but "how is it possible that I have a 6 year old???"

No really...he was born, yesterday. At least in my mind. I remember all the nervous anticipation of meeting my newborn son for the first time. What would he look like? Who would he take after? What kind of kid would he be? So many unknowns... And then he came into the world and my life was forever changed. My darling Devon. My firstborn son. I can't imagine life without him.

He is wise beyond his years. It's what everyone says about him. He talks like he's 50 and he analyzes everything. He notices everything and remembers every detail. Just yesterday he told me "I remember when I was so small and Dada had to work every night and I wished he was home, but he had to work." Hmmmm... Firoze had to work overnight for the first year of his life, so Devon was recalling a vivid memory and emotion from when he was a newborn. Amazing. Seriously, this kid amazes me every day with what he says and what he knows. He can name at least 300 dinosaurs and draw them and tell me all about their characteristics. He knows the solar system. He told me why the sun rises and "it actually doesn't rise Mama, it's because the earth revolves on it's axis." Yeah, those were his exact words. He remembers what his teacher told him and recites entire days back to me, word for word.

But, more than his big brain, I love him because he's so sweet. He is loving and kind and has such a strong desire to be good. I am blessed that God gave this boy to me and knew how much I would love him. And I can't believe he's 6 today!

Photobucket

Each birthday, I let him pick his theme. When he was small, he would "pick" his theme by being totally obsessed with something... from trains, to airplanes, to dinosaurs... we've done them all. But, now that he's 6, he's been thinking about this for the past year and finally decided on a Fish-Transformer-Map Birthday! And everytime we talk about his birthday, he says "I can't wait for my Fish-Transformer-Map Birthday!" So, it was my job to make these details appear...

Photobucket

The first time I had my ultrasound with Devon and it said BOY, my first thoughts were "I don't know HOW to raise a boy." How do I know what trucks do? I don't even LIKE dirt! If you had told me I would be covering an entire wall in life size Transformer posters, I would have burst into tears! But, you know what... you do what makes your child happy. And you love to do it. And I couldn't have been happier, making his birthday wishes come true!

Photobucket

I had to throw in some map decor for him!

Photobucket

Every year I take this same picture of him sitting on the table. I hope it won't be strange when I make my 35 year old son sit on my dining room table, with his gangly legs hanging to the floor! I love seeing him grow and this year, he has sprouted up another few inches.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Devon was literally screaming with joy over his big map from Aunt Debbie & Uncle Bob! It fit perfectly with his Fish-Transformer-Map Birthday! :)

Photobucket

He got an awesome dinosaur book from Bethany & Aaron!

Photobucket

He definitely got some Transformer toys, but was really excited about his Transformer mask. Yep, he's all boy. :) What's next... baseball??? (Please God, no!)

Photobucket

Ok, you're probably thinking "ok, I see the maps and I see the transformers, but where's the fish?" Well, here he is... introducing our glorious new pet... Hermie, the Hermit Crab!

Photobucket

Firoze will have to help play with Hermie because this thing totally freaks me out!

Photobucket

Devon is beyond excited about his new pet!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Devon, we love you with all our hearts and want to give you the world. For now though, hopefully your special birthday wishes came true and you know how much we love you... our 6 year old.

Photobucket

Make a wish...

2 comments:

  1. God blessed you with your PERFECT puzzle piece child in Devon. That piece that fits perfectly in your life. He is you, exactly (but with better wall climbing abilities, Lol)! So beautiful, so smart, like a little encyclopedia, great attention to detail, remembers everything! I am so, so happy God blessed our whole family with Devon, I love that boy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...